Today I preached a message on the beatitudes called "The Good Life." As I studied Jesus' words I was reminded of how backwards the values of the kingdom of heaven are compared to the kingdom of this earth. They completely contradict the way todays world works. So I wondered, "What would a secular version of the beatitudes look like?" Based on the way our culture defines success, here's how I think a worldly version of the beatitudes might read:
- Blessed are the self-confident because they rule the world.
- Blessed are positive-thinkers because they don't need anybody's comfort.
- Blessed are the cocky and assertive because they get what they want.
- Blessed are those who hunger for fame because they get reality TV shows.
- Blessed are the vengeful because they get respect.
- Blessed are the impure, pleasure-seekers because they see a good time.
- Blessed are those who beat their opponents because the victors write the history books.
- Blessed are the popular because everybody loves them.
Listen to or watch the sermon here.